Pick One

by Randy Murray on March 18, 2013

Abundance is a curse.

You can have anything that you want for lunch. So why eat another bland fast food hamburger and fries?

There are literally hundreds of shows on the television. So why stare at another hour of screaming reality TV stars?

You don’t eat, drink, or watch bad things because they are cheap. You default to them because they are easy.

You are responsible for what you consume.

If I told you that you could watch just one movie this month, you might spend more time considering your choice. You’d pick carefully. If you were limited to just one hour of television a day you’d say no to most programs. If you lived on bread and milk and had just one meal a week of your choice you be careful not to waste the opportunity.

Your options are virtually unlimited. And you, you alone are responsible for limiting your options. You are.

Pick one.

The Pick One by Randy Murray, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Austin March 19, 2013 at 11:27 am

Great Post!

Anna March 20, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I picked this one article to read before I eat dinner. You made a very good point and I plan to make my one choice for everything be something I enjoy and that will add value to my one life on this planet!

Have one happy evening!

Randy Murray March 21, 2013 at 7:46 am

Excellent and thank you.

Nancy Schneider March 24, 2013 at 8:34 am

I heard Andy Stanley talk about the tensions in life; how people want a “fix” but in reality, most of life requires active, intentional engagement on our part. Abundance is case in point. LOVED your piece. I think familiarity is another. But that is another story…

Really well done. Thank you!

Randy Murray March 24, 2013 at 9:02 am

Thank you.

Currie Silver March 24, 2013 at 11:42 am

This is exquisite. I’ve changed so much in my Life the past 4 years, DOing well [even BETTER in several ways] without a television, motor vehicle, or many other ordinary extravagances… Sometimes I notice people trying to explain to me why they DO HAVE a tv, car, etc., and I realise that my changes are in some way feeling limiting to them… So when I read this, and I found you via Joshua Becker, I just enJOYed a big smile. Thanks!

Randy Murray March 25, 2013 at 7:39 am

Your note has given me an excellent start to the day.

What many miss is that a life of choices and minimalism can also be a life of luxury and supreme pleasure. Abundance can be a drag.

celesteaurorean March 24, 2013 at 11:44 am

I’m reading this lovely post as I eat a healthy & delicious breakfast. While making breakfast I cleaned the kitchen and gathered items to sell at the flea market. Quality over quantity!

Randy Murray March 25, 2013 at 7:40 am

Good for you! When there’s so much around us, why settle for anything other than quality?

Carmina March 24, 2013 at 11:51 am

I hardly ever eat fast food. However, when I am at a fast food restaurant with my husband or one of our kids I don’t buy a meal. What I do is choose “1″ item that I really want to eat and nothing else. I ask my son what is “1″ thing he really wants and we buy it. If I eat a whole meal I feel awful, but “1″ thing every once in a while is great. My sons are happy getting “1″ or maybe “2″ things. Nothing goes to waste.

Randy Murray March 25, 2013 at 7:41 am

What an excellent idea!

Joy @ Joyfully Green March 25, 2013 at 9:42 am

Nicely stated. Years ago, when I saw the movie “Il Postino” at the theater, I left feeling so wonderful about it that I resolved, “I’m not going to sit through any more bad movies. Life’s too short for bad movies.” I’ve felt similar sentiments about other things–”Life’s too short to eat bland bread”, etc. In America, we have a wealth of options, and many of them are just not worth our time or energy.

Randy Murray March 25, 2013 at 11:48 am

That is exactly what I hoped to convey. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Alicia Woodward March 25, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Simply love this post.

Quinn March 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Excellent work. This piece made me think. I’m striving live a more intentional life rather than a life made up from just a series of convenient choices. Thank you!

Paula March 27, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Your posting might be the explanation why I enjoy eating vegan so much! (I started with vegan cooking a few months ago). Most of the time I am left with 1 option, if so. (often there isn’t even 1 option, since rarly any “substitutes” for dairy products are available where I live).
Buying food used to be impulsively and is a very concious act now.

Randy Murray March 28, 2013 at 7:25 am

That’s what I’m looking for – the conscience act. I find that in almost any aspect of my life I am happier when I actively choose.

Joy @ Joyfully Green March 29, 2013 at 12:25 am

Hi Randy,
I blogged about this topic in the link below and mentioned your excellent post:

Randy Murray March 29, 2013 at 9:14 am